Sweaty feet, why do they sweat? how to avoid it?Apr 08 2019
You have the wet feet constantly? Do you walk barefoot and you leave footprints on the ground? Do you put on sandals and feet slip?
If the answer is YES, can we talk about excessive sweating on the feet.
In this article we analyze everything related to the sweating: pathologies, causes, treatments and advice to solve the problem.
IS SWEATING A COMMON PROBLEM?
In the first place, it should be noted that in the plantar area there are more than 250.000 sweat glands, which are the cause of sweat. This amount is much higher than other parts of the body such as the forehead, armpits or palms of the hands.
sweating is a normal and necessary process for the body, through which we regulate the body temperature and we favor the secretion of unnecessary substances for the body.
Many of our patients come to the consultation to find an explanation for the sweating they suffer, since, sometimes, they think they have a disease or that they are developing it. We explain to them that it is a logical and normal process and it's usually something temporary. For example, in different stages of life in which the body undergoes changes, such as in early ages (from 7 to 10 years) or in the puberty, due to hormonal development, sweating can be excessive and smelly. So, this is a fairly common problem, but…
when do we have to worry?
It is very important to see a specialist when sweating is excessive and when the patterns of it change, that is, the color, the smell, etc. To learn more about foot odor and how to combat it, in the article "Why do feet smell?" what you have.
CAUSES. What factors favor sweating?
In disorders related to sweat, it is necessary to treat the causative agent of them and try to solve the external factors that affect. Here are the following causes:
If we have a infection we will have to make a differential diagnosis to know if it is bacterial or fungal. Both are solved with the application of prescription creams or products recommended by a specialist. It's not convenient self-medicate, therefore, from Podoactiva, we always recommend go to the professional relevant before taking medication.
When excessive sweating is due to endocrine changes we should wait for this development to pass, palliating the signs and symptoms with antiperspirant deodorants.
The prevalence in groups that are doing hyperproteic diets, since excessive protein and lipid intake increases excess sweating. It should be noted that it is very important for the issue of sweating to wear a balance diet avoiding the hot spicy, refreshments and caffeine, drink a lot of water and use talc or podiatry products recommended by an expert.
There are triggers like stress, la anxiety wave temperature rise that favor sweating at certain times.
Our feet sweat more when we wear very closed shoes in hot weather or when they are made with antiperspirant materials, like plastic.
PATHOLOGIES. Classification of alterations related to sweating
Can be found 3 types of problems related to sweating and classified according to their symptom:
- HYPERHIDROSIS. It is an excess in the amount of sweating and is related to the increase in tension, nervousness and temperature, as well as with the Diets, infections or with different chronic pathologies.
- BROMHYDROSIS. name given to a strong or unpleasant smelling sweat, caused by metabolic changes (adolescence) or by infections (mycosis).
- CHROMHYDROSIS. disorder in which the glands produce colored sweating, which is observed, above all, in white clothing (socks, t-shirts...).
Sweating is a necessary process through which liquid is released: 95% is water and 5% are substances such as sodium chloride
ADVICE. How can I avoid sweating?
there are small habits that can reduce, as much as possible, these unpleasant perspiration disturbances. we leave you 5 consejos to follow that will improve this problem:
- wash your feet daily and, above all, it dries the area of the fingers very well to prevent this humidity from giving rise to the appearance of mushrooms.
- change the socks every day and, if your feet sweat a lot, even two. In addition, it is advisable to bet on breathable materials.
- Follow one balance diet and hydrate.
- use daily podiatric deodorants.
- Don't use them every day same shoes, alternate them.
TREATMENT. What therapeutic options do we have to solve excessive sweating?
The Technological advances and research help broaden the therapeutic range. So we find these 3 solutions:
1. Sympathectomy. It consists of blocking the sympathetic nervous system local area with botox. This treatment usually lasts 6 to 8 months, so the therapy has to be repeated.
2. Iontophoresis. It is done with electric flow, favoring the entry of drugs chosen by the professional.
3. Surgery. It would be the final option and consists of dry out sweat glands of the area to be treated permanently. This technique is used in extreme cases.
Our most important advice is to go to the specialist and be the one who determines the appropriate treatment for each case.
CAN WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AGAIN?
As in any pathology, the problem is resolved, but it can reappear as there are certain triggering factors. One of them is the foot type. For example, cavus feet (high-arched feet), usually have the claw toes, being closer together and tighter, giving rise to a increased friction and even greater friction. Due to this, the temperature increases, the ventilation between them decreases, giving rise to more sweating and maceration of the tissue, sometimes causing fungal infections such as athlete's foot.
In short, our recommendation is to follow these tips to avoid sweating problems, but it should be noted that it is a normal and necessary process for the people.
Podologist at Podoactiva Premier
Onychomycosis is a nail infection, mainly toenails, caused mostly by dermatophyte fungi. It's a pathology...
Surely, you have ever experienced first-hand how your fingers and toes have wrinkled after spending a long time in...